Table of Contents
Warning: We strongly recommend that you do not practice without the guidance of a qualified teacher. You can get information about upcoming workshops to learn about Sunyoga. Sunyoga involves several necessary steps for safe, balanced, and quick spiritual growth. They are essential, and each step’s significance is explained in detail in our published book, “Essence of Sunyoga,” where the technique is the book’s main focus.
Do your best duty and best work!
Remember, for practicing Sun Meditation, always follow these three guidelines:
1. Never look directly into the Sun with your physical eyes, but focus from the center point between the eyebrows towards the Sun.
2. Create friendship with the Sun. Find your connection (the feeling) with the Sun from the heart.
3. Do not have any expectations. Just accept whatever experience comes spontaneously.
Do not compare yourself with others. Trust the guidance from the Sun that you can feel from your inside. We need to focus on friendship with the Sun. We will look at the Sun through the center of the eyebrow and a few inches above the Sun. You are making friends. The primary key is friendship and surrendering to the divine. As much as possible, have your head down and eyeballs as much as possible, then focus from the center point of the eyebrow.
Sometimes we may be afraid that our eyes will be damaged by looking at the Sun. But it is not valid. If we look through the ego, it may cause damage. But if we make friends, it will never cause harm. So always remember friendship is our key. Are you ready to make friends with the Sun? Firstly we must prepare our minds, and then we will look at the Sun.
Start Sun Meditation
0. Remove your spectacles/glasses.
1. Sit in a comfortable position with the back upright and relaxed. It is good to sit in Padmasana (the lotus posture). If you cannot sit in this asana, you can sit in any other asana you are comfortable sitting in, at least for half an hour, with the backbone straight and the body relaxed. [Sitting in one place, the back straight in a fixed manner, like a statue, is called “asana,” as explained in the book “Essence of Sunyoga.” In the beginning, you can keep your legs down in regular asana. You must be comfortable because if your body is not satisfied, you cannot focus. The body has to be relaxed and in a comfortable position. You will learn to sit in a proper asana as you keep practicing. Therefore asana will be known automatically when the body is relaxed and comfortable. The asana cannot be maintained when the body is tense.]
2. Close your eyes for a few minutes to prepare your mind.
3. Give respect (pranam) to your parents, whether they are alive or have passed away. Give respect to your parents through the heart.
4. Give respect (pranam) to your guru, guardians, and teachers, to everyone you have learned something from, whether younger or older, enemies or friends. Give respect to all of them.
5. Give respect (pranam) to the icons whom you trust, Mahavatar Babaji, Prophet Muhammad, Lord Jesus, Lord Buddha, all deities and gurus from all religions, and all the noble persons in the world. Give respect to all of them.
6. Feel all living creatures in this world belong to one family. All beings: human beings, insect beings, animal beings, and plant kingdoms. Cast, color, creed, gender, age, country, religion, we are one family. Give love to all.
7. Put some self-inquiry questions to get the self-solution.
– Who am I? Who am I?
– What do I want?
– Why do I want it?
– What is the purpose of life?
– What is the relation between what I want and what I am doing now?
– Why am I on this Mother Earth?
Put the questions again and again. Do not wait for answers. Answers will come in time in the Samadhi stage.
8. Expand yourself to the Sun to make friends with the Sun. With strong determination:
– YES, I can make friends with the Sun
– I must make friends with the Sun
– Even if I die, I will make friends with Sun
9. Feel that the Sun is the best friend of our life. Be ready to talk from the heart. To look at the Sun through open eyes. To make friendship, friendship with the Sun.
10. Slowly open your eyes. Roll your eyes upwards and look a few inches above the Sun. As much as possible, your head could be turned down. Do not look directly into the Sun with your physical eyes [this is a critical part and why the guidance on how to do it is necessary]. You are watching from the center point of your eyebrows. Let the face be relaxed; the body and the mind relaxed, and keep a smiling face.
Now make friendship, friendship with the Sun. If necessary, you can blink sometimes and again, keeping your eyes open. Stare as described above, towards, but not directly at, the Sun. [If the Sun’s elevation in the sky is high, you may have to tilt your head up. Try not to blink (keeping your eyes open). Do not be alarmed if tears start to flow. Just keep your focus and eyes open.
The amount of time you stay with the Sun: at least 30 minutes is recommended, and the average time for the beginner is about 45 minutes. As you get more comfortable with the meditation and can keep your focus for longer, you can expand your amount of time looking at the Sun.]
[after at least 30 minutes and when you feel you have reached your peak of meditation].
11. Slowly close your eyes.
12. Squeeze, squeeze your eyes—tight, tight, tight. Gently relax. Do not open your eyes. Repeat the same procedure three times.
13. With normal closing eyes, focus inside the eyebrow. There is a beautiful light, a very nice vibration. Enjoy that light for a few moments.
[after a few minutes or longer if necessary]
14. Keeping your eyes closed, rub both your hands and make them warm. Warm, warm, warm, immediately touch your eyes. Keep on hold for a few seconds. Receive your prana from your hands to your eyes. Then, slowly roll down your hands to the face and gently massage both eyelids through the fingertips. Repeat this procedure three times.
15. Prostrate to the Sun. Go down on your knees and bow your head to the ground. Give thanks to the Sun for giving us such a beautiful life, a lovely experience. Pray to the Sun provides us with peace, prosperity, wisdom, good health, unconditional love, and enlightenment. Pray for the individual, all of us, and the whole of humanity for the betterment and good wishes. Pray your prayer to the Divine Sun to burn all the darkness from our lives, all negative expectations, negative judgments, and negative karma, to purify us, and to give us peace, prosperity, wisdom, good health, unconditional love, and enlightenment.
16. Slowly sit up, slowly sit up, slowly, gently, open your eyes and relax.
[Shavasana is required to store and assimilate all the energy we receive from the Sun.]
17. Now lie down in Shavasana:
18. With your eyes closed, lie down on your back with your feet approximately 12 inches (30 centimeters) apart, your arms detached from the body, and the palms of the hands turned to the ground. Relax the whole body, every muscle and joint in the body.
19. Now, move your awareness to your toes and relax them. Then gently shift your attention in the following order to loosen each part of the body: ankle joints, knee joints, and hip joints. Then focus, so you are only aware of the part of your body above the hips.
20. Next, continue to move your awareness to the spinal cord, Muladhara Chakra, Swadhisthana Chakra, kidneys, stomach, Manipura Chakra, gallbladder, liver, heart, Anahata Chakra, and feel them relax. Now focus so you are only aware of the body above Anahata Chakra.
21. Then continue to move your awareness to the lungs, chest, Vishuddhi Chakra, fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders, the neck, and feel that you are only aware of the part of your body above the neck.
22. Next, move your awareness to the mouth, nose, ears, eyes, Ajna Chakra, pineal gland, pituitary gland, cerebellum, cerebrum, and Sahasrara Chakra on the top of the head. Now concentrate your focus to be only on the Sahasrara Chakra, nowhere else in the body.
23. Throw your awareness outside your body and into the Sun. With your attention inside the Sun, you look at your physical body as a dead body lying down on the earth. Look at all organs or all areas of the body and give extra focus to these body parts that you feel need healing. Keep observing the Sun with healing rays going to your weaker organs for several minutes and feel at peace. Give love unconditionally. As long as you are in this state, experience the joy. Once you do this correctly, you can throw out all illnesses and negatives from your body. [for at least 15 minutes or more if you feel it is needed]
24. Slowly bring your awareness back from the Sun to the top of the head. [Then go in the inverse direction, from top to bottom]. Move your attention to the cerebrum, cerebellum, pituitary gland, pineal gland, Ajna Chakra, eyes, ears, nose, mouth, neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, fingers, Vishuddhi Chakra, chest, lungs, Anahata Chakra, heart, liver, gallbladder, Manipura Chakra, stomach, kidneys, Swadhisthana Chakra, Muladhara Chakra, spinal cord, hip joints, knee joints, ankle joints and down to the toes of the feet.
25. Now, bring your awareness inside the physical body. You are watching your physical body through your inner divine awareness. Watch all your organs, all the parts of your body, through your inner divine awareness. Which organ or which part of the body you find weak, focus there for a longer time through inner divine awareness. Charge yourself, and heal yourself through inner divine awareness. Let it heal you for a while. [after a few minutes or longer if necessary]
26. Gently flex your toes, feet, fingers, hands, and other joints in your body. Once the awareness is brought back throughout the body, letting the experience linger in every part for a while.
27. Then, slowly turn your body to the left, and take a few normal breaths.
28. Next, rise with the support of your hands. Slowly bring your body to a sitting position and sit with your eyes closed for a while before slowly opening your eyes.
29. Finally, Prostrate (as a form of respect) and give thanks to the Sun for giving us such a wonderful experience. Thank the Sun for its healing and unconditional love. The session is complete. Feel the warmth, peace, and happiness in yourself, and smile. Thank your teacher and everyone around you.